Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Billboard Wisdom

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."
-- Henry David Thoreau
I saw a billboard for Bacardi today which read “Live Like You Mean It.” This really struck a chord with me and not just because I enjoy a good Mojito. I started this blog specifically because I want to start living deliberately, to work actively toward creating a life. With the exception of a few major decisions, I am guilty of just allowing life to happen to me rather than being an active participant. I can’t say I’m happy with the results. I realize there are many things beyond our control, but so much of where we end up depends upon the choices we make. Living without intention has led me to a place in life I don’t really want to be with no real idea of how I even got here. It’s like that feeling you get when you’re young and drinking all night with your friends seems like a good idea. You wake up the next day and think to yourself, “How the hell did I get here?” Sure you had a good time (you think), but you feel like hell and you seem to have spent all your money. You may even be in the wrong house. I feel just like that only on a larger scale. I woke up and realized I was in the wrong life! So I've decide I will live deliberately, with intention, “like I mean it.” Because when my time comes, I want to look back and KNOW that I really lived.

2 comments:

Kate, Dating in LA said...

I feel like I have been sleep walking through the last 9 years of my life. I blink and months seem to pass. My question is--how do I live deliberately without quitting my job?-- which I sort of need at the moment.

Penelope said...

Kate,
I'm in the same situation right now. While I am trying to take more risks in life, I'm never going to be one of those people who just up and quits without already having something else lined up. I know this works for some people, but it isn't for me. I decided I need to transition slowly into a new career. Although doing two things at once is difficult, I have the security my current job provides and the excitement of starting something new. Of course there have been sacrifices. Mostly in the form of sleep and time sitting on my ass. It's rough, but I'm coping! So don't think you have to quit today. Give yourself time; make a plan. Decide where you want to be two (or five!) years from now and what you need to do to get there. Then get started! Take it seriously. Work as hard getting what you want as you currently do working for someone else's benefit. Make YOU your priority. It might not be easy, but you will be living deliberately.