Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Progressing Slowly

It has been a few months now since I started this blog and I must admit I haven't posted as often as I would like and I haven't made as much progress in getting a life as I would have liked either. I haven't had any big recent successes to report, but I believe I should be blogging regardless. The point is to chart my progress (the ups and the downs), solicit your feedback and hopefully give you some inspiration as well. I have made many great strides in getting rid of clutter and creating a peaceful and nurturing home environment, but I'm not there yet.

I was able to get rid of a ton of stuff at my yard sale a few weeks ago. All the big items were sold and I was able to pack up the few remaining items in my car and haul them immediately to Goodwill. It was a great feeling to be free of these unwanted and unneeded items! Plus, I like to think someone who truly wants or needs them will now have them. I haven't accomplished any big projects since then. While it is true that I am extremely busy, I need to make the time to care for myself so that I can maintain my busy schedule and be there for my clients. Caring for my home is an extension of this self-care and so must be a priority.

One thing I've realized is that I need to do enough work throughout the week, even if it is only ten or fifteen minutes per night, so that I can afford to spend some of my Saturday and Sunday afternoons cheering on my favorite teams now that football season has started. With my work, school and clients, I know I need the down time to recharge. Doing a few minutes every night helps me to keep on top of things so that they don't pile up, becoming a more daunting task and sucking my energy. One area I have had good success in is keeping up with the dishes. Now that my roommate has moved out and I'm just one person, it is easier than ever to wash up the few dishes I use every night. It takes barely any time and I'm rewarded with a clean kitchen without spending a ton of time or energy.

I have also been better at keeping up with mail, especially junk mail. I try to sort it daily, sending most to the recycle bin as it comes in and shredding things with sensitive information on the weekends. The one area of major downfall is magazines. I love magazines and have several subscriptions. Unfortunately, I don't really have the time to keep up with reading them and they are now contributing to the clutter. I plan on reducing my subscriptions as they expires, renewing only a few of my favorites. I am also going to try putting a time limit on myself. If I haven't read the magazine within two weeks, I will pass it along to friends.

Despite the changes I'm making and the work done so far, my apartment still has a long way to go. Sometimes it can be discouraging as I just can't seem to get everything done. And there are times when I really just don't feel like doing anything. It can be a struggle, but I know from the success I've had so far that it is worth it to keep going. With every unnecessary item I've donated or tossed, with every closet, drawer or cupboard organized, I feel an increased sense of peace. Even if we can't see it because it is in a closet or cupboard, we cannot help being aware of the clutter in our lives. It causes stress and robs us of energy. So, I will continue on with the struggle. I'm sure there will be many ups and downs. And you'll hear about all of them here.

2 comments:

Kate, Dating in LA said...

I think you are definitely making progress-- certainly more progress than I am. My big claim to fame today was finally taking two bags of clothes to Goodwill. Do you have any idea how long those bags have sat by my door? No idea what happens to my motivation levels.

Penelope said...

Kate,

I think taking the bags to Goodwill is great progress. Especially if you've had them for a while. We stop really seeing things once we get used to them being around. This makes it even more difficult to remember to do something about it.